Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The danger in revisiting old work

Noodle Soup (sold)
I've been looking at my old work recently while getting my website up and running(still working out some kinks but you should be able to visit marybergherr.com)  The danger for me when I look at older work is the internal dialogue that starts, and it sounds something like this:  Oh my god, I like what I used to do better than what I'm doing now.  Oh my god, I'm not improving.  Oh my god, I sold more work back then...and on and on in that vein and then begins to repeat.  Eventually-after a couple of days-I challenge those thoughts, like so:  Mary, your work isn't better or worse it's just different.  It's good you're changing that means growth and exploration.  Maybe you're not selling as much because your prices are higher and maybe what that means is that it's time to promote more.

whew!  I got through it.  Here's a detail of a painting circa 2006.  I like the looseness of it-something I continue to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment